Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Smoked mackerel dauphinoise

Smoked mackerel dauphinoise

My variation on a recipe from Nigel Slater's Real Food

Serves 2 as a main dish

400g waxy potatoes, scraped or scrubbed
150g smoked mackerel fillets
2 bay leaves
200 ml double cream
200ml milk
1 tablespoon grain mustard
1 small head of broccoli

"Slice the potatoes lengthways, about as thick as one-pound coins. Put them in a shallow baking dish about 30cm in diameter. Break the mackerel fillets into large, bite-sized pieces and toss them gently with the potatoes. Try not to break the fish up too much. Tuck in the bay leaves."

"Mix together the cream, milk, mustard and a little salt and pepper, then pour it over the potatoes. Bake in the oven preheated to 190C/Gas 5 for about one hour, till the cream is bubbling and the potatoes are knife-tender."


My notes:

This is my variation, mainly on amounts of ingredients. The recipe suggests about this quantity for 4 people but I feel you need a bit more potato for a main course.

Make sure the potatoes are sliced quite thinly and that they are soft and tender before serving. This is important, leave them another 15 minutes or so in the oven if they are not.

And I added a bit of broccoli this time, just break it into small florets and scatter amongst the potatoes.

0 comments:

my food photos

www.flickr.com

recent bookmarks

about this blog

I'm Tristan Ferne and I'm a coder/producer/manager and I run an R&D team for BBC Audio & Music Interactive - BBC Radio Labs. You can contact me at tristanferne at yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk

Why is it called cookin'/relaxin'? They're the titles of two of a series of Miles Davis albums which also describe some of my favourite things.

View my complete profile

other blogs

cookin'/relaxin' My main blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP