Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cheese on toast

I was eating lunch today and chatting about what this site is for and why I hadn't posted any new recipes for so long. I came up with some criteria for recipes along the lines of 1) it requires a recipe, so no improvised tomato and pasta dinners, 2) I have to make it regularly, 3) it's good or 4) it's my or my family's recipe. At which point I realised my lunch met at least three of these criteria. So here it is, humble cheese on toast. I'm not sure how widespread this method is but it comes handed down from my Mum. I'm also wondering if it's a Northern recipe (she's from Lancashire) because you need to use Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese.

Cheese on toast

Makes a few

2-4 slices of bread (brown or white)
Wensleydale or Lancashire cheese - enough to cover the toast with thick slices. A small-ish block is more than enough for 4 slices.
A couple of tomatoes
A splash of milk
Black pepper
Paprika

First, toast your toast. Meanwhile slice up the cheese, crumble it into a bowl and add a splash of milk, not much though, and a bit of freshly ground pepper. Then put it in the microwave for a minute to a minute and a half until it's melted, though preferably not boiling. Slice your tomatoes.

When the toast is done and the cheese has melted butter the toast, put a couple of slices of tomatoes on each slice of toast and spoon the melted cheese over. Sprinkle with paprika and then pop under a hot grill until the cheese has started to bubble, but before the edges of the toast start to burn.

That's proper cheese on toast. It always amazes me how the humble Wensleydale is transformed into something so gorgeous just my melting it.

1 comments:

Dubber December 7, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Sorry Tristan - you lost me at 'microwave'.

my food photos

www.flickr.com

recent bookmarks

about this blog

I'm Tristan Ferne and I'm a coder/producer/manager and I run an R&D team for BBC Audio & Music Interactive - BBC Radio Labs. You can contact me at tristanferne at yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk

Why is it called cookin'/relaxin'? They're the titles of two of a series of Miles Davis albums which also describe some of my favourite things.

View my complete profile

other blogs

cookin'/relaxin' My main blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP